Ready to update your WordPress instance but unsure what to do?
No problem, just follow this simple guide to get your next update done quickly and easily.
WARNING: Do not complete this without first getting a new backup of your site files AND most importantly, your database. I cannot stress this enough. If your site’s contents are vital to you and your operation, do not trust the upgrade process – GET YOUR BACKUPS FIRST.
Let’s get to the upgrade shall we, follow these steps:
- login to your wp-admin dashboard.
- click on updates or upgrade now at the top center of your dashboard.
Dashboard updates location:
- server name, enter localhost
- user name, just the ftp user name, not your email address
- your ftp user name’s password
- select FTPS (SSL)
- click proceed
Update WordPress credentials menu:
Why enter credentials? This is because the site runs as the apache user, safest for security. This is the most secure and preferred method of running a WordPress instance.
Follow the prompts, and be patient. Depending on your server load, content size, this could take a few minutes. If WordPress instructs you to upgrade your database, you must.
– M3Server Inc Managed VPS Hosting